Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cure Anxiety with Mexican Food


Today turned out to be a really good day.  At first, I didn't know how well it was gonna go because I was overwhelmed with anxiety.  My son got invited to a birthday party for a boy who is in his pre-school class, and being that he is only four years old, his father and I thought it best that we stay with him instead of leaving him with complete strangers that we do not know. 

So, why does this type of situation make me anxious?  Well, I am not a people person.  Social situations often make me freak out.  All week I had been trying to prepare myself for this 5 year old's birthday party, but yet when today got here, I got to the point where I was almost throwing up.  I thought to myself, "Whitney, get it together.  Your 'lil boy wants to go to his friend's party, so you are gonna have to suck it up and do your best to get through it." 

Finally, after sleeping half the day away cause I felt like my stomach was literally being tied into a knot, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for the party.  At the last minute, my little brother who is only a year older than my son decided he wanted to go to the party.  So, there we were.  Two little ones, my son's father, and I all on our way to this party that I was so nervous about attending.  We get to the city park where the party is supposed to be taking place, and immediately I notice something is missing.  There are no pirate balloons.  The invitation said to be on the lookout for pirate balloons, but there were none in sight. 

How could this happen?   This party that I had become so anxious about attending was not even taking place.  Turns out, a dip in the day's temperature caused the party to be moved to the little boy's grandmother's house.  The little boy's mom was unable to reach me and was not able to tell me about the relocation.  I felt so sorry for my son and my little brother that they were going to miss out on the party, but in my head my thoughts were doing joyous flips :)   What's even better is that since we missed out on the party, my son's father decided he wanted to take us all out to eat at a local Mexican restaurant.  I love Mexican food!!

What happened today reminded me that there are so many things in life that I get anxious about for no reason.  So many mole hills that I turn into mountains.  I really need to reevaluate the things that I get anxious about.  I mean, even if the birthday party had been going on, I'm sure everything would have went great, and that my son's father and I would have probably met some really nice people.  And as for all the other issues that I get anxious about, I need to constantly remind myself that they are only temporary, and the odds are, they are probably much smaller problems than I turn them out to be. 

So, the point of today's posting is 'don't waste your time being anxious...go do whatever you got to do and then go eat Mexican' ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment