Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

26 Long Years: Now Making Love that I Can Feel


Tonight, my son asked me for the first time what it means when we tell each other that we love each other.  He is three years old.  As a person who rarely slows down long enough to breathe in the beauty of life, I caught myself coming to a halt, because I wanted to answer his question correctly; however, it did not take but a few seconds for me to respond. 

I told him that we tell each other we love each other because we care about one another.  That we always want good things for one another.  And that no matter how many accidents or mistakes that we make, we will always be here for one another. 

I found it odd that even though I slowed myself down to answer his question, I did not need much time.  I guess my perception of love is not something that has to be thought about for a very long period of time.  Some things in life just are.  Love is love.  There ain't much to it, yet, it is everything.

I agree with John Mayer when he says in his song Shadow Days, "It's nice to make some love that I can finally feel".  Too many of us go through life understanding what love is, yet never really being able to feel it.  I have recently gotten to a point in life in which I am finally feeling what love feels like.  And yeah, it's real nice. 

All I know is, if you don't know what love feels like, keep on searching.  It'll come around eventually.  For me it took 26 years.  26 long years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment